Møntergården and the surrounding buildings
Møntergården is named after the narrow street Møntestræde lying next to the building, where a coin workshop was located around 1420. The building itself is a two-storey half-timbered house with carved rosettes facing Overgade and Møntestræde. The walls are brickpainted as bricks were considered superior to halftimbering. The roof is covered with handmade tiles.
Møntergården was a city residence for families of the landed nobility. In the middle of the 18th century it was converted into a grocery store. The front building was converted into two shops and flats for several families around 1860. This meant that the formerly distinguished look of the building was lost. In 1930, the city of Odense bought the property from the carpenter H.J. Steffensen in order to restore it to its original state. Møntergården has functioned as a museum since 1941.
In 2013 a new building housing the exhibition "Funen - centre of the universe" opened.